Thursday, November 19, 2009

Rude!

Once a week when I drop by to see my aunts, they comment amongst themselves about my weight within my earshot as if I'm not even in the room. "Oh, she's gained some pounds," or "She looks okay.” How can I get them to stop this annoying and hurtful behavior! 

Immediately after they have commented about your weight, in your own words, tell them, “I’m right here, I can HEAR you talking about my body and it hurts my feelings to know that you are actually sizing me up and having a group discussion about what you see. Please stop.” 

If they tell you that they’re only concerned about you, tell them you’re fine with your body and if you ever want to discuss your weight with them, you will.

I DO NOT recommend that you talk to them directly about the rudeness or inappropriateness of their comments because, well, they don’t see themselves as being rude or inappropriate. In their minds, they’re just talking. About your body. While you’re there. That’s all! They care about you and love you! Why are you upset? 

See how all of this has the potential to loop around and around, spiraling far away from the core issue? Focus tightly on how their comments hurt your feelings, and repeat as often as necessary. If they persist, come back to me and we’ll map out Plan B, titled, “Aunties, You Leave Me No Choice. It’s ON!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments